Sunday, February 04, 2007

Sun Is In The Sky, Why, Oh Why?


Hey! It's still freezing. I know it probably sounds like I'm over harping this, and should let it go, but honestly, it's become the biggest part of my life right now. As soon as you get inside, all anyone will talk about is how cold it is - and this doesn't spring from the awkward feeling of not knowing someone that well so you talk about the weather - people actually care. This is an actual conversation I overheard at the movies today: "So I killed a bear today. I made a coat out of him" "Where did you find a bear?" "Lincoln Park Zoo." "Is it warm?" "It was, but once it gave off most of it's bear steam, it was just kind of heavy, and then the blood started to freeze." "Damn, that sucks." "Yeah I know. Like, this bear had cubs too. I looked them in the eyes as I turned their mother into a coat." "What did you do with it?" "I threw it into a dumpster."

So, to summarize - cold. Which is why I'm excited for Thursday, when I get to see Lily Allen at the Metro, as part of her American coming out tour that kicked off tonight on SNL. It all seemed silly to me back in the summer, why Capitol would wait to release an album that was so sunny and fun in the middle of January. When its cold. (I'm not even kidding, I think Lake Michigan finally gave in and froze over) But I kind of see the appeal right now, because I'm looking forward to Thursday, hoping that it will be the one spot in the week when something is actually able to take my mind off of the facts that despite an entire tube of Burts Bees my lips have chapped open into a series of painful opens sores. And to their credit, Capital does honestly seem to be pushing her - the major television appearances, these Mtv spots:

But is it working? Asking around my school, no one has heard of Lily Allen. I put on 'LDN' the other night at a party, and the kids who had been giggle dancing their way through 'Thriller' seconds before (Art School Kids don't sincerely dance, I've learned that now) all kind of stopped. Oh, but if you put some Of Montreal song about turning into a penguin on, they'll be right back out there, giggling.

Anyway, here's Lily's newest video, for 'Alfie'. It's basically a literal interpretation of the song, which usually doesn't work - I'm looking at you, every Men At Work video ever made - except her brother is played by a puppet. It's basically 'My Cousin Skeeter', but with more cute English girls, less Bill Bellamy, and I'm guessing about the same amount of weed. Seriously, someone must have been injecting Drain-O into their vains to think that show was a good idea.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home