Thursday, April 06, 2006

Riding To Vegas On A Moped


Scooter Libby has fingered President Bush as the one who authorized him to release a classified document that cited Iraq as trying to purchase uranium, to a newspaper reporter. I linked the BBC's story on it for a few reasons. One, they spell authorized with an 's', and I just think that's adorable. Two, they screw up and call libby 'Mr Scooter'. Here's the quote before anyone realizes the mistake. Or should I say realises:

'Mr Scooter, former chief-of-staff to Vice-President Dick Cheney, is facing trial in connection with another leak.'

I always imagined Mr Scooter looking more like that guy, rather than a grumpy 50 something who is still called Scooter. Mr. Scooter wears nifty sweaters, zooms through the streets of Rome with Audrey Hepburn, occasionally tipping his head back to let out a hearty laugh that ends with a gravel voiced "Fan-tastic." And then he lights up a cool, refreshing cigarette. Because he's just not Mr Scooter, without his Malboros. God, I miss the 50's.

I also just trust the BBC's integrity a bit more than CNN's, seeing how they were willing to run this as their headline, where CNN chose to put it off to the side, choosing to go with the 'We Firmly Support America And It's Adorable Orphans' angle. I know it's a story, but, for God's sake, they have the conviction, the guy admitted that he conspired in the attacks, he's proud of it, he ends every court day with a variation on 'God curse you all', it's not like they need to drive it home this much. Maybe there was a chance that one of the jurors wasn't aware of the impact of 9/11, maybe they've been really caught up in a Dostoevsky book for the last five years, and just kind of missed all of this. Buildings fell down you say? Well, this is what I get for being a slow reader. It all just seems like pandering, the prosecution is trying to cover up past misstep by bombarding the jury with really, fucking sad stories.

Speaking of sad stories, apparently Google Ads is worried about me. Sam sent me an email today where he mentioned Sofia Coppola (and something about a spleen and a dog, in reference to her acting), and Google ads offered me up tests to see if I was contemplating suicide. I'm just surprised I didn't get an offer for free translation in there too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home