Thursday, March 30, 2006

Somewhere, Over The Rainbow


Gadzooks! Is that how you spell gadzooks? It looks kind of clunky on the page though. Christ, I just looked it up, apparently the root of gadzooks is from God's hooks, a reference to the nails used to nail Jesus to the cross. I thought gadzooks was a phrase used by eccentric grandfather, with wired white hair. Like Doc, from 'Back To The Future'. Actually maybe I was just thinking of him, I don't think my grandfather has ever said gadzooks. Did Doc Brown even say gadzooks, or am I just making that up? Certainly seems like something he would say. I wonder if he knew it was a reference to the crucifixion. Maybe he started it, maybe he went back in time to watch the crucifixion (not sure why he would want to, but I also don't know why he would want to wear his hair like that, so I guess anything goes), and when he saw them hammer the nails in, he just kind of exclaimed, "Gadzooks!". Thousands of years later, the phrase stuck around. Wow, history is amazing.

What the hell was I talking about? Oh, 'Lost'. Gadzooks! Something finally happened, which was a nice change of events. There was a balloon! But Henry Gale was a black man from Minnesota! Locke inspected Sayid's old girlfriends house! Locke's pa is most likely the man Sawyer is hunting! The world's coolest black light poster is drawn on the back of the blast door! Food falls from the sky! Exclamation points abound! This the most excited I've been about this show since the beginning of the season, now that we're getting down to the final stretch, so the long breaks between episodes will get shorter, and the softer, character based (i.e. nothing happens) episodes will start to dry up. I also predict that Jack's weird ass, giant drill and Japanese lettering tattoo will play some role in the future, since his sleeves have been prominently rolled back recently, and especially since Sawyer made a crack about it in tonight's episode. I also think that Sayid will go apeshit on Gale next week, decapitate him and stick his head in the freezer. A cookie to anyone who understood that reference.

Veronica Mars was also excellent tonight, heralding the return of a possibly reformed Troy Vandergraff, and what most likely will be the setting for next season, which looked a hell of a lot like Sunnydale High before all the graduation fireworks. The best thing about the episode by far though, was seeing Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat in action, just a day after the official death knell for 'Arrested Development'. Cera was the best, giving a glimpse of what a real world George Michael might be like. And, wow, it was simultaneously depressing and heartbreaking watching him organize a group for a rousing game of two truths and a lie, knowing that no one cares but still doing it anyway. His few scenes tonight gave me a new found respect for how amazing he is at playing this character, making the passing of AD all the more painful. Whoever said TV was fun was a lying rat bastard. And I hope he burns in hell.


The past few days I've been trying to play catch up with things that I missed on my week away from the internet. The best is, undeniably, this. It's amazing how many shining moments are shoved into this short segment: the gold tooth man's smile, the amazingly detailed sketch, the crackhead theory, the leprechaun hunter, his ancient family flute, 'Give me the gold, I want the gold', and most of all the thinly veiled contempt the newscasters have for their audience. It feels like a 'Chapelle's Show' skit that wasn't written because, God why would you ever think of something like that? Ever?

Apparently, what will undoubtedly be the greatest movie ever made will go back for some pickups, to bump up it's rating to a hard R. How will it do this you ask? More snakes? More planes? Or perhaps the most perfect piece of dialogue ever written for the screen? What is this line you ask? Let my new favorite blog explain it to you in the best way possible.

New favorite blog. That implies that I had a previous favorite blog. Which implies that this all a sad, sad affair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home