Friday, March 10, 2006

Some People Juggle Geese

It worries me sometimes that it feels like the people at the Sci-Fi channel are the only people who get me. They're the people who put Battlestar Galactica on on Friday nights, giving me a convenient excuse not to go out and make friends. I could probably make friends during the day, that is if the Sci-Fi channel didn't run a 'Firefly' marathon all day. Oh sure, I have all the episodes on DVD, and I've seen them all numerous times... but this way, I don't have to get up and put the DVDs in myself. It's amazing how big a part laziness plays in how I decide to live my life. But one thing that I've learned today watching 'Jaynestown', is that Gregory Itzin, President Logan on '24', played Boss Higgins. When you watch enough TV, it all starts to blur together, since the same crop of actors seem to guest star on all the same shows (in this same 'Firefly' episode, Daniel Bess, who played Rick in the first season of '24', not to mention Meg's first boy friend on 'Veronica Mars', is the mudder who takes one for Jayne). Now, look at that last sentence I just wrote. Despite how sad you might find it, also imagine what it does to me when I watch TV. I can't watch an episode of a show without my head turning into the IMDb page for the fourth listed guest star of the night. Sure, these types of facts come in handy with the ladies, but it kind of ruins the feeling of some shows, when a character comes on screen, they have to overcome a ton of baggage for me to buy the character. When 'Lost' premiered, the first thoughts that went through my mind was more "Hey, what is Agent Kendall up to?" and "I know he speaks English, I've seen him do it on '24' and 'Angel'." And I have to keep these thoughts in my head too, since on the few times I've tried to explain these things to people I usually just get icy glares, or things, usually pointy, thrown in the direction of my head.

Of course none of this will stop me from watching television. Like the second part of the Battlestar Galactica finale tonight, the return of the Discovery Channel's 'I Shouldn't Be Alive', the most terrifying show on TV (made by the same people who made the terrifying 'Touching The Void'. That must be a fun production company to work at) and of course the hour long 'Conan In Finland' special. He's going since, apparently, Conan is huge in Finland, and became bigger when he started saying he looks like their female president (Though from watching curling during the Olympics, I get the feeling that not only does he looks like their president, but possibly just everyone in Finland). But as I was watching this interview ( I tried doing a direct link to the video, but it wasn't working. If you feel like watching it, the link is in the article) he did with CNN's international show, 'Your World Today', and the anchor, I think his name is Brit, or it might as well be, says "But you know what it's good to see? Real comedy, with good language, and just clever thinking, that's what Conan O'Brien is really famous for." Conan seemed a little taken aback by it, as was I. Is Conan wholesome? I mean, it's true he's not exactly Lenny Bruce, but I think wholesome I think, Tony Danza. Of course Danza doesn't really count as a comedy. Not intentional comedy at least. Maybe like, Leno. But hell, Leno's stuff usually has more sexual content than Conan does, and once again, I think, technically speaking, you have to be funny for what you do to be considered comedy. Maybe a show where a masturbating bear and a vomiting Kermit live side by side is wholesome and clever, especially now that Carlos Mencia has a show where people tune into watch him giggle after he makes a joke that is incredibly edgy. Or wait, I'm sorry. I meant stupid and a pathetic attempt to be offensive. There's no reason to get angry at Mencia though, since he'll just end up in that run down retirement home where they put Andrew Dice Clay in a few years, as Conan moves to 11:30. I just never thought of his show as family friendly, due in large part to the fact that my mom hates him. She finds him weird and offputting. Which I guess makes sense, being weird and off putting is kind of like being offensive for smart people. Or at least that's what comedian tell themselves when they're doing shows in a dingy basement while Carlos Mencia sells out the Meadowlands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home