Monday, April 16, 2007

I Got A Weird Thing For Girls Who Say, "Aboot."

Speaking of things the internet has drastically changed, let's talk about music videos. You know what they are right? Cool, let's go.

Broken Social Scene member, Peaches BFF, and all around Cute Canadian Feist just released two videos to help promote her new album 'The Reminder'.



The first is for 'My Moon, My Man', which is kind of like if Mike Nichols had directed that Ok Go video. It's bad enough that I'm banned from the treadmills at my school gym, now I just know I'll be wating to board my plane one second, and then being physically restrained by airport secuirty for trying to inspire a musical dance number on the moving walkway the next. It's a criminal offense. Feist only got away with it because they filmed it in Canada. Seriously, read the Patriot Act - they covered everything.



The second is for her song '1 2 3 4', which is similiar to the 'My Moon, My Man' video, except this is a more colorful and cheerful affair. The dancing, the amazing camera work, the song itself, this video just makes me happy. Kind of like a 'GAP' ad, except I don't hate the world when it's over.



The Shin's video for 'Australia' is kind of like a some odd marriage between a Benny Hill sketch and a Learning To Love You More assignment. Baloons! Orange Jumpsuits! Marty dressed like a shrub! Wacky! It's all a big complex and enjoyable set up that in the end wasn't really about anything. So, you know, like a Shins song.



Theres a clever little story in the video for The Hold Steady's 'Stuck Between Stations' (make sure you watch it till the end), but mostly it's just a showcase for the band to look like an actual band, rather than a novelty act like the 'Chips Ahoy' video kind of made them out to be. Added bonus, ample time to Craig Finn's crazy cool hand gestures.



The Arcade Fire aren't offically releasing any videos for 'Neon Bible', which means YouTube will be littered with amateur videos of kids running through trees to 'No Cars Go' to symbolize freedom from society. But whoever did this clip for 'My Body Is A Cage' sure as hell got it right - pick one of the best shot movies ever, string some clips together, and play it out slow. I would have never of thought of Sergio Leone and Win Butler in the same breath before, but damn if I don't now. Also, Henry Fonda should have really played more bad guys.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home