Thursday, February 09, 2006

I Don't Think They're Ready, Ready For This Jelly

Do you hear that noise? No, besides that of your upstairs neighbors body slamming each other to the bass line of a System of a Down song. The other one. It's my head, and it's buzzing. I wanted to write something about the Grammys, but it's hard since I didn't actually watch the Grammys. Things happened, like Veronica Mars and Lost, and it was snowing, that was pretty, then I played this game where I closed one of my eyes and tried to grab a glass and I couldn't, I just couldn't. But it got me thinking about how this last year was a pretty exciting year for music. Or... at least it's exciting for me. Why? Because I am an average looking man.

I know what you're saying, that's not exciting, it is in fact, average. Let me take this time to tell you that you're wrong. The point is, the unspoken rule that you have to be good looking to be on television and magazine covers seems to be coming to an end. But is that really what we want? Odds are, you too, are an average looking person, with deep rooted self esteem issues related to the fact that you lack the ability to stick out in a crowd. We see the loads of beautiful people with pretty problems as they get torn through the tabloids, we don't feel bad about not being as famous as they are because we are not nearly as pretty as they are, it's justified. But now, people like Ben Gibbard are getting videos made devoted almost entirely to their faces. When it's Peter Gabriel, fine, I get that. But when it's the band members of Death Cab For Cutie getting three minutes devoted to their thoroughly average mugs? Well that just makes me feel lazy. I don't have an excuse any more, I can't get by with the old "Oh, I'm too plain for anyone to care" excuse. Honestly, look at them. I think I had an English class with the drummer once. I can't be sure though, because he's so plain he just kind of slips my memory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home